After 7 years in educational bureaucracy, I returned to the classroom last week. Always nice to see if theory and practice have anything in common.
After one week, I did notice a few things.
- I really like high school students. I’m dead serious. They come with energy and honesty. And despite what you might have heard elsewhere, they want to learn.
- Schools are loud places. After 7 years at a desk in a carpeted, air-conditioned office, this was a shock to my system. Yikes!
- Teaching is exhausting. I feel like an actor giving four back-to-back 80 minute one-man plays. I can hardly think when the day is done.
- My colleagues are positive, up-beat people.
- It only took 3 days for somebody to give me the first cold I’ve had for several years. Achoo. Grumble, grumble, grumble.